Fiction / Nonfiction Editing & Proofreading
Manuscript editing focuses on readability and ensures:
- correct and consistent spelling, grammar, punctuation, hyphenation, numerals, capitalization, fonts, and word usage
- accuracy of chapter numbers and cross-references to figures, tables, illustrations, and other displayed material
- insertion of or notation of missing words
- all tasks for light copyediting
- attention to dialogue, dialogue tags, and dialogue beats
- headings and text reflect parallel structure
- consistency of key terms and thoroughness of indexes
- continuity of plot, setting, and character traits in fiction
- changing of passive voice to active voice (if requested)
- flagging of ambiguous or incorrect statements
- Science Fiction
- – Mystery
- – Thriller
- – Crime/Detective
- Creative Nonfiction
Oral History & Biography Editing
People want what is important to their lives (memories, achievements, stories about how their parents met, etc.) to be recorded and collated in memorabilia to be passed on to future generations. Copyeditors help to weave facts together in well-written stories, as well as fact check dates, places, references, family names, etc.
“Oral history is a field of study and a method of gathering, preserving and interpreting the voices and memories of people, communities, and participants in past events. It is both the oldest type of historical inquiry and predates the written word.”
– Oral History Association
Rates for fiction and nonfiction editing are based on the project parameters and are billed per-1,000 words at $0.02 per word for proofreading and $0.02-$0.045 for copyediting.
Manuscripts submitted for copyediting should be properly formatted per basic industry standards. This means one-inch margins all around, double-spacing, and 12-point font size in a standard font such as Times New Roman, Courier New, Georgia or Arial. If your manuscript is formatted for printing prior to being edited or uses a tiny font with single spacing, your document can be difficult for your editor to work with. We’ll properly format your manuscript using Word Styles.
Cleanup editing is an add-on service that incorporates the author’s responses to queries. This service may be requested in conjunction with either light or medium copyediting.
Book Cover Editing
Your book cover must quickly capture your audience’s attention with short, succinct, error-free copy about you and your book. Our book cover (or jacket) editing service is included with manuscript services. This service must be ordered in conjunction with an editing or proofreading project.
What's Not Included
Our services do not include aspects that fall under manuscript evaluation, substantive editing, or developmental editing, such as:
- Plot Structure
- Character Development
- Story Development
If your manuscript needs organizational, structural, or other substantive or developmental editing attention, we’re happy to refer you to other editorial professionals.
Want to work with us?
Request a quote or contact us with questions.